top ten teeth-damaging foods
Our top ten list of what foods to avoid and why:
1) Hard candy. Why? Constant exposure to sugar is not a good thing.
2) Ice. Why? Chewing on it can leave your teeth vulnerable to a dental emergency and can also damage enamel.
3) Citrus. Why? Acidic foods can erode enamel, making teeth more susceptible to decay over time.
4) Coffee. Why? It’s not coffee that’s so bad for you, it’s the sugar that gets added to the coffee.
5) Sticky foods. Why? Sticky foods are damaging as they stay on your teeth longer than other kinds of food.
6) Starchy foods. Why? Foods like chips tend to get trapped in your teeth and cause plaque build up.
7) Soda. Why? It’s basically liquid sugar that breaks down the enamel on your teeth.
8) Alcohol. Why? Alcohol causes dehydration which reduces saliva flow and in turn, can lead to tooth decay.
9) Sports drinks. Why? Sugar is the main ingredient.
10) Gummy anything. Why? They get stuck in your teeth and remain in and around teeth long after they are eaten.